Friday, January 11, 2008

Why I love James Cameron's Titanic

First, let's get Titanic out of the way. First of all, it's the most successful film ever made... worldwide. Second of all, it's got 11 Oscars and has captured the hearts of millions across the world. I'm one of them.

I first saw Titanic when I was 15. It was December 19, 1997. My dad and his girlfriend/wife took me to a late afternoon showing. The theater was packed. There was a strong feeling of anticipation throughout the entire auditorium. I too was jumping in my seat in eager anticipation. See, I had been a fan of Titanic's director since he first made The Terminator back in 1984. Every one of his movies since were among my very favorite. In short, James Cameron could do no wrong. Then the movie started to play. The screen wasn't like an IMAX in size. It was relatively small. But every shot of the huge ship couldn't have appeared any bigger. Every scene with stars Kate Winslett and Leonardo DiCaprio couldn't be any more bittersweet. When the ship started to sink, I was sinking with it and these wonderful characters that we had gotten to know so well. They seemed like real people.

Everything from the acting to the directing to the score to the costume design of Titanic looked and felt absolutely perfect. I was sucked into this world of elegance, romance, action, suspense and cold water within the time frame of 3 hours and about 19 minutes.

Many people hate Titanic. They talk and they talk. They try everything to prove to die-hard fans how rotten Titanic is. Many people love Titanic. I'm surprised certain 13 year old girls didn't lynch Leonardo DiCaprio back in the day... just to get a piece of his clothing. I'm part of the latter group. Titanic is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. I'm just not in love with Leo.

No comments: